Saturday, April 29, 2006

Skype Add-Ons


Skype is more than just a telephony client. There are many accessories that enhance the basic Skype functionality. Here are the ones we like the most.

Michael Hough from the Networking Pipeline wrote an interesting article on the add-ons he likes best for Skype. In part, this is what Mike had to say:

Being the webmaster of www.SkypeTips.com and the author of ‘Skype Me!' by Syngress Press I am often asked for my favorite Skype add-ons. Of course, a list like that depends on what you are trying to do. But I've gotten countless requests and advice about such a list from my family, friends and fellow Skypers. Based on their requests, and my personal inclinations, here's my list of the five top Skype add-ons.

One thing not mentioned in my list is the addition of video to Skype. But vide is now built in to Skype for Windows and there are additional video options available for Skype, so that is a topic for another article and my next book "Video Conferencing over IP" by Syngress Press due out in June 2006.


The add-ons discussed are:
1. VoSky (Formerly Actiontec) Internet Phone Wizard (IPW) (www.vosky.com)
2. DualPhone Cordless Telephone For Skype (www.dualphone.com)
3 NetGear WiFi Skype Phone (http://tools.netgear.com/skype/)
4. USB Telephones (Linksys USB phone)
5 Pamela (http://www.pamela-systems.com/)

You can read Michael Hough's The Top Five Skype Add-Ons here

No comments: