Monday, April 24, 2006

Experience Firefighting - The Coveside Inn


I have been remiss in posting items because of a training exercise I participated in this past weekend. This weekend firefighters and emergency workers from all over Lincoln County, ME burned the historic Coveside Inn as part of an extensive training exercise.



The owners of the inn offered to donate the inn for training purposes to the South Bristol Volunteer Fire Dept. Almost every department in the county participated in the training including a contingent from Monhegan Island.


The training was intense but the knowledge and satisfaction gained well out-weighed the effort. Being a "new" volunteer fireman, I truly gained an immense respect for what firefighters do as well as an appreciation of my own limits and abilities.

I did not have the ability to Experience Mobility this weekend but I did Experience Firefighting---something that I will remember for the rest of my life. There is no question that firefighting is an incredibly dangerous occupation. The skills required for safe operations are regularly practiced during training evolutions at local departments but the opportunity presented this past weekend for a county-wide training was an invaluable opportunity for each department to learn, practice and develop skills needed in joint operations.














You can view more pictures of the Lincoln County Fire Training here

No comments: