Sunday, April 30, 2006

Block Pop-up Windows

I really dislike "pop-ups" and tend to boycott sites that use them. From my way of thinking it is just another form of SPAM and I don't want it.

Some advertisers on the Internet use pop ups to display a message and when they do, it is almost a guarantee that I will not buy that product. I think that websites should say upfront that they use this form of advertisement and should give an option for you to choose to see them or not but unfortunately that is not the case.

Sadly, there are some pop-up windows contain inappropriate content or worse still, can be a way for you to accidentally download spyware or adware onto your PC.

Fortunately there is a pretty effective means of blocking "Pop-up Windows" within Internet Explorer. With Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Internet Explorer allows you to prevent most pop-up windows from appearing over pages you want to view while you're using the Internet.

There is a nice article on Microsoft that shows you how to Block Pop-up Windows with Internet Explorer. It is a quick read and I guarantee that you will be happy you used it.

No comments: