Saturday, March 25, 2006

To upgrade or not to upgrade ... that is the question
(part 1)


Recently HP released the hx4700 Windows Mobile 5.0 and the question that I had was do I want to upgrade or not? My 4700 has been running flawlessly so I have been "hedging" as to whether or not I was going to take the "plunge". For me, the question was how much do I want to use Windows Mobile 5?

I like Windows Mobile 5, I find it easy to use and definitely an improvement over previous mobile operating systems. I have had the opportunity to use it on the iPAQ 1950 (which is a terrific device BTW) and I was lucky to try it out for a very brief period on the new 6900 series....it was absolutely terrific. There are some issues that I have noticed but the overall performance was very stable so I decided to "take the plunge" and order the upgrade CD from HP. I expect it will arrive in a day or two so I will get back to tell you about the ease of the upgrade process and how well it performs on the 4700.


What are the key features of MS Windows Mobile Version 5.0 Pocket PC?

ActiveSync 4.1, the most current synchronization software for faster management and transfer of information on your PC server

Improved Productivity

Faster access to email and information

New Office Mobile Suite

Word Mobile for great document format support

Excel Mobile for better support when viewing and creating charts

PowerPoint Mobile for viewing and giving presentation on the go

Secure Device Management

Integrated Multimedia (Windows Media Player 10)

More support for media via services and the desktop

More options to use media to personalize devices

Persistent Store

Pocket MSN, which permits one click access to MSN Hotmail and MSN Messenger
Games


You can order the upgrade either as a CD or a direct download from HP at the Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 5.0 upgrade - North America site.

3 comments:

Jack said...

There is no question there Jerry. The K-Jam is an extraordinary device but the 4700 has always had a special place in my "collection".

Alsicole said...

I'm interested to hear what you think. I love my Vario with WM5.0 - it's been great, however my Ipaq 2750 has been somewhat weird since I did the ROM upgrade. Luckily, I mainly use it for GPS navigation these days, so I'm not relying on it.

Jack said...

That is too bad alsicole...I would have expected it to work fine especially because of the amount of RAM. Before I retured my "loaner" 2750 to HP, it was the device I used most often...I thought it was terrific.

I had ordered the ROM upgarde and expected it to be shipped to my home in Maine but the confirmation I received said it was going to my Massachusetts house...bummer, now I'll have to wait until Monday.

I will report back my results when I get it installed.