Wednesday, March 15, 2006

How Do I Protect My New iPod Video? Vaja iVod

Vaja Cases --- Serious Protection with Unparalleled Style

Some of us always want the latest and greatest so when the new iPod Video was released, it just had to find a way into my house…and it did. It was a device that my son wanted so it was an easy decision. Of course when I bought it, I purchased a few extras to make it a little easier for him to enjoy his new device and of course, being caught up in the frenzy of shopping and getting all the extras I bought what appeared to be a nice leather case to protect it.

What a mistake that was….but more on that later. Of course he was thrilled to receive the iPod and immediately charged it, installed the software and began downloading and listening to his music. It was a nice experience seeing him “get into” his new device and using the technology. Soon we found ourselves looking at programs that he could purchase to transfer the immense collection of DVD movies he has accumulated to a format that would play on the iPod video.

Because of the price I stressed to him that if he wanted to protect his device then he should use the case. He agreed so I took the iPod and slipped it in his case. “See” I said, “it looks good and it protects it”. Of course we realized that it was not going to fit in a cradle we had for his desktop so I slid it out and bam…there was a scratch on the black front on the iPod…and I did it! Wow, was I bummed! Here I am the one telling him to protect his new device with a case and the case I got him scratched it.

The case was made of leather and had what appeared to be decent construction but they used nylon thread to sew the parts together and there was a “nub” that was exposed that scratched the device as I slide the iPod into the case. The truth of the matter is that I should have done what I would have done if it were mine…I should have waited and gone to Vaja.

Vaja has a reputation of fine leather products with a consistent quality in construction….a well deserved reputation that continues with each new line of cases they introduce. I was first introduced to Vaja cases years ago when I bought my iPAQ 3630 and since then, I have had a variety of their cases and have never been disappointed.

It is a personal preference but I like leather cases protecting my devices and I like leather that is soft, pliable and rich in texture. That is what you get with a Vaja case but in addition, the cases they have designed for the iPod have all those qualities but in addition it is a hard case. They have incorporated between the inner and outer layers of leather a hard material that protects the device from “stress” it can receive from drops or pressure exerted on the iPod case while in a tight pocket. It is a pretty cool design, slim in overall appearance and best of all, it has the look that only leather can give.

Ordering the case was pretty simple, we just went to www.Vajacases.com and there on the front page was their latest addition to their extraordinary line of cases…the iVod video SP for Apple iPod video. A slick looking bright canary yellow case with a blue accent stripe with a Vaja metal logo embedded in the corner. Clicking on the case we were brought to a page that allowed us to navigate to Vaja’s MP3 Leather Cases page. We easily were able to locate the offerings for the iPod Video 60 gig where we found 5 choices to pick from (iVod video SP, iVod video, AP196, AP191, and the AP197). Each case was unique in its design from the hard case of the iVod to a soft pliable leather slip case. You could get a flip cover leather case similar to what many of us have used on our iPAQs or even one designed with a metal hook for easy attaching to a belt loop.

My son chose the iVod video case because he liked its appearance so we clicked on an option to customize the case where we were immediately faced with the decision of having a “wheel protector” or not. He chose to have the wheel protector which is an opaque plastic designed to protect the wheel area yet allowing full and complete access to its function.

Clicking on having the “wheel protector” led us to a unique color choice chart where he was able to show his black iPod and go through an incredible number of color combination to get the color scheme he wanted. Ultimately he ended up with a case that had a black back and a Caterina Dark Citron front. It looked good…actually a color combination that I would have not chosen but seeing it and having the opportunity to test out over a 1000 combinations, I was impressed with his final choice.

As he picked his color scheme, the price of $76.00 was displayed at the bottom of the screen. When he clicked on the “next” button, he had the option of adding one of two belt clips and the ability to “personalize” his device. He chose neither saying he didn’t want to clip it on his belt. Clicking on the “add to bag”, he was given a choice to confirm his options. I really liked the interface they have set up because it was easy to use but the chance of making an error just was not there. I think other online vendors should look at and learn from what Vaja has done.

Agreeing that this is what he wanted, a click of the button and he was ready to check out where he provided his information and the wait began for the case to arrive. Surprisingly, it arrived within a week…I think he was lucky because they had indicated that due to the demand there was a little wait but fortunately that was not the case for us.

When the package arrived and the case removed, it was in a neat boxing system that protected it during shipment. Removing the case and holding it in your hand you just can’t help but see and feel the difference when you have a quality case. The rear exterior was a black soft grained leather and the front was a smoother grained green leather that had a slight cushion effect. The case was hard to the “squeeze” which clearly gave an impression of added protection for the device it was about to house.

The interior has a soft light brown leather neatly displaying the Vaja name. Of course what I immediately looked for was anything that would remotely scratch the case…absolutely no chance. The case is fine tuned to provide a safe, comfortable and secure home for your iPod….a great design!

As we slid the iPod into its new home, the case enveloped it like a tight glove. It was a perfect fit immediately affording the device protection and giving it an added touch of class…it looked great and it felt perfect. Immediately my son took the device, plugged in his earphones and started to enjoy his music and videos knowing that his device was now afforded the protection it needed. This is an excellent case and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to combine protection as well as good looks to their iPod.

Remember me saying that my son chose the added protection for the “scroll wheel”? It was very cool. An opaque plastic that provides protection and yet gives perfect visibility to the functions as well as perfect access…there were NO glitches. In addition, there was a clear plastic covering over the screen area to give that added protection for the screen, as well as provide optimum visibility while watching a video. With the iPod inserted, there is no chance of damaging either plastic screen but I would urge caution if the iPod was removed. It probably could be damaged if pressure was exerted…but we would never do that would we?

The other day, I asked my son how he liked the case. His reply: “Dad, I love it and my friends are asking where I got it because they want one too”. I guess that speaks for itself!

You can find your iVod for your iPod here at http://www.vajacases.com


Cost: Starting price for custom case is $70.00

Pros:

Stylish
Hard case protection
Top quality leather
Superior craftsmanship
Perfect fit


Cons:

None

Rating: 4.9 out of 5









Click read more below to see the full news item

No comments: