Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm not sure, it looks cool but.....

The buzz today at CeBIT show is all about the Origami platfoem. Samsung Electronics device is based on thisplatform from Microsoft and it is the first of the new "ultramobile PC." I'm not too sure it is what I want...clearly it is a little early to tell but I do have some reservations.

My first thought is the price...Samsung's device is a little over $1000...that seems a little rich to me for what you are getting but then looking at the prices of other devices it may be in line.

Secondly, as I was looking at a picture that showed the on screen keyboard, my guess is that your thumbs are going to hurt alot from use...maybe that's not so but it sure looked like that.

It still is a little early to pass judgement. The device I like right now and one that I am considering is the Motion LS800. It is very cool but it is also VERY expensive....it sort of makes you take a second look at the UMPC.

The LS800 is a wonderful addition to Motion Computing’s Tablet PC series. With its unique size and remarkable power, it promises to be a huge success. It is about the size of a paperback and comes with Intel Centrino Mobile Technology for outstanding mobile performance and productivity.

Here is a list of the "basic" specs. If I were going to get this device, I would upgrade the memory and hard drive as well as pick up a few of the accessories...ohh, the price is getting higher.

Intel Pentium® M Processor ULV 753 (1.20GHz)
Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
256MB RAM (Also available with 512MB or 1GB)
20GB HDD (30GB or 60GB Options)
View Anywhere® Display (optional)
8.4" SVGA TFT LCD Display
Integrated Ethernet LAN Controller (RJ-45 connector)
Integrated Bluetooth®
Secure Digital (SD) Slot
Out-of-the-box Safe Computing
Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Speak Anywhere® Audio Technology
Ambient Light Sensor
Motion Base Pak Software



The LS800 Tablet PC measures just 8.94” by 6.69” by 0.87”, and it weighs only 2.2 pounds. It’s easier to use, stow or transport than any Tablet PC available today and will easily fit in a lab coat pocket or purse.

Ahhhh....decisions, decisions, decisions.

No comments: