Monday, March 06, 2006

From Video to DVD

There are so many facets of being able to experience Mobility. In the early days, I did a lot of video taping with a beta camcorder, a VHS, a video-8 and finally with a digital video camcorder. I don't do as much video taping any more but I still do it on occasion. More and more I find myself using the video aspect of my camera. It does just what I want and is easy to save on my computer.

It is definitely cool and certainly much easier. I had terrific luck in taking videos with the Nokia N-90 and was very happy with the built in software for editing....that was a nice touch. But what about all the old videos that have been taken on VHS, Beta, or Video-8 cameras? Have you ever thought about what you are going to do with all those "precious" moments?

I did and decided to take the tapes I have and convert then to digital media files. I wanted to save all those years of trips, birthdays and special occasions so I could view them on my computer and/or watch them using my DVD player. I have a lot of tapes and it is a slow process but I will get them converted and I will not have the fear of losing what I have because of deteriating tapes.

It is a time consuming process but I think I need to do it so mty family can enjoy the "old days" when they want a good laugh! Today, I found a neat article on how to convert your old videotapes to DVD before they deteriorate in a PC Magazine tip by Jan Ozer . It was a good article so I thought I'd pass it on to you.

In part this is what Jan had to say:
Most of us with precious memories saved on analog media realize that these VHS, 8mm, and Hi8 tapes are slowly degrading. Fortunately, if you still have a device that can play your tapes and a DVD recorder in your PC, for under $100 you can convert these analog videos to DVDs—and those DVDs will have attractive menus and buttons that let viewers access key scenes.



It is a good article, well worth the read and probably enough to make you decide to deal with the with the dozens of old home movies you have collected. It may seem overwhelming at first, but a little at a time and you will get it it completed and you may be surprised at the good memories this process revives.

You can read Jan's article here.

No comments: