Thursday, March 09, 2006

Another Memory Card....

There was a time when there was only CF cards. I liked that, it was easy. But then came SD cards, I liked them too because they were small and devices were starting to appear with both memory slots, so that was cool because I could use CF and SD!

Then all of a sudden we saw the mini-SD appear and device manufacturers were starting to use them so again off to the store and we buy yet another card. So now I have CF, SD, and mini-SD....it is starting to be a pain not to mention expensive. I hate to think of the cards I have stored in the drawer because I upgraded to larger memory cards.

So what do I see today?

SanDisk Launches SanDisk Ultra II Mobile Line of Premium Flash Memory Cards

I couldn't believe it but it is true (and maybe even a bit cool). Yup, Sandisk introduced the SanDisk Ultra II Mobile line of flash memory cards for multimedia-enabled mobile phones.

The SanDisk Ultra II Mobile memory cards have faster read and write speeds than standard flash memory cards, as well as longer warranty periods. Faster read/write speeds improve performance of the card for file transfer and play on personal computers. Also, they may reduce the energy consumption on the batteries of certain phones and are expected to accommodate performance requirements of future mobile phone models. The announcement was made at the CeBIT Show in Hannover, Germany.

The new line, which will be in mobile phone stores and other retailers this spring, consists of three memory card formats: microSD(TM), miniSD(TM) and Memory Stick PRO Duo(TM), and will be available starting at a capacity of 1 gigabyte (GB)(1). These high-capacity, high-performance SanDisk Ultra II cards have a minimum write speed of 9 megabytes (MB)(1) per second and read speed of 10MB/second(2). The cards will be offered only in high capacities, ranging from 1GB to 4GB, and will have extended warranties in all regions of the world.


Well, it is cool with faster performance and larger capacities but I am getting a bit concerned...How will I continue to Experience Mobility if I don't have enough to spend on new devices because I keep spending it on memory cards? Only kidding....these cards look great. With what is happening in the mobile phone market, these fast, high capacity cards will be needed.

SanDisk's web site: http://www.sandisk.com.

No comments: