Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Dell Will Recall Batteries in PC’s

DAMON DARLIN from the NY Times wrote an interesting piece that you might want to read. In part he said:

Dell is recalling 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they could erupt in flames, the company said yesterday. It will be the largest safety recall in the history of the consumer electronics industry, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

Of course we have been reading about this for some time and I am sure the pictures that were floating around the internet had a big impact of Dell's quick decision...I'm glad I didn't have one!

Read Darlin's article here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why such a hard stance on this topic? Dell is fixing the problem so I applaud them for doing what was right!

Jack said...

Like you aliscole, I applaud the recall. I would not have expected anything else from Dell.

I did not think my post or comment was a "hard stance" but rather an informational item...I'll have to re-read what I wrote.

I am glad I did not have one though....I would have hated to experience that shock. Of course, the batteries were made by Sony and I have a Sony laptop. Guess I'll be a little more watchful now...lol

Andre said...

Of course the battery on my Dell 700m purchased in March, 05 doesn't fall into the code recall.
I don't think you were hard on them - and thanks Dell for the recall, BUT the battery for my notebook didn't meet the criteria...Hmmm.
I'll let you know if I have any problems, and I wonder if the attention to this issue will cause FAA security to demand proof at checkpoints that our Dell has fulfiled the battery recall prior to boarding.
That would be interesting.