Sunday, August 13, 2006

Xantrex PowerSource 400

Safe, Reliable, Long Lasting Alternative Power

It has been an amazing summer this year, warm, warmer and down right HOT! Not that that is unusual for summer but it has been an extraordinarily warm summer this year with a huge demand on the power grid. Some say that the weather has been affected by global warming…I am tending to think that they might be correct. However, it seemed as if the power companies have been able to handle it; I have not experienced any issues up until a couple of weeks ago when I was in Maine and all of a sudden we had a “blow” that came up on us instantaneously.

It was amazing to see the wind start to increase; the clouds appear as if we were going to have a major storm and the water just outside my window look as if I was in the middle of a major ocean storm. The wind…she was a blowing! To look up and see a huge pine tree bending as if it were a feather was in many respects awesome and yet scary. I am surrounded by huge pines and if one goes, it would be a “crushing” experience. I did have one go last spring…and I now have a renovated garage.

As fast as this storm came in, it disappeared in an instant. The lake became calm, the sun came back out and life went back to normal…well sort of. A tree did fall about a mile away and we were without power for a few hours. It was soon restored and life went back to being calm and relaxing but the talk in the town was “the blow”. We had a minor “event”; I guess you would call it a “micro burst” (a downburst covering an area of two and one half miles or less).

A week later I experienced a true “micro burst” back in Massachusetts where we had an instantaneous storm on a very hot day that caused major damage in and around my home. I was fortunate to have no damage but some neighbors were not as lucky. We lost power for several hours and as soon as it was restored it went out again for another 4 hours. Clearly, it is time to think about alternative power sources and just what I want to have.

I have a variety of power sources that I have accumulated over time. All are small temporary solutions for traveling but can be used to charge a cell phone or my iPAQs while at home. What I don’t have is a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply- Battery Backup) and with recent events I know I’m going to get caught on my computer doing something that is important and I will lose it all. So the search began …. and ended very quickly.

What I do have is a Xantrex PowerPack 400R, a portable AC and DC power source that can be used for a variety of electrical needs. It is a seven-in-one power unit that has been ideal as a personal security device in a blackout or a source of power for that “away from an outlet” tailgate party or for the do-it-yourselfer who needs portable or backup power for small power tools. The built-in 400 watt inverter with the sealed, non-spillable 20 amp-hour AGM battery provides a sense of security that you will be able to perform those basic charging needs in case of an emergency. Of course, the ability to use the 250 PSI air compressor for inflating tires and small sports equipment at an outside activity along with the ability to watch TV at tailgate party is an added plus!

As good as it is as a portable power source, it is not a UPS and it does not have the ability to run for five or more hours and that is what I am looking for. I wanted a solution that would provide me with alternative power that would guarantee me from losing current work as well as be able to maintain the ability to continue to work for a long time. In addition to having the ability to run my computer, I wanted the ability to run a big TV. As soon as I looked on the Xantrex site I saw what I needed, the PowerSource 400.

What is the PowerSource 400?

It’s a UPS that is a perfect backup power solution for the small office or home. In the event of a power outage, it will supply uninterrupted backup power allowing you to continue to work and stay productive…..that is important to me. None of the solutions that I have seen will offer more than 30 minutes of power, but the extended runtime of the Xantrex PowerSource 400 was very intriguing to me. If it lasts as long as it is rated (up to eight hours), a list price of $199.99 seemed worth it. A little searching on the net can find some significant deals that make it even more enticing.

When my unit arrived, I was amazed at its weight - 32 lb (14.5 kg). It was hefty to say the least…I guessed that the battery was pretty substantial to have the heft that it had. The unit was packed securely with foam cushions protecting the unit from abuse while being shipped. It was wrapped in plastic and each side had a plastic sheet covering it to protect it from scratches. When I finally had it out of the box, it was a slick looking device.

The PowerSource 400 is slim, dark grey, a power outlet in the front and four in the rear with a power switch and LED readout on the top. There was a reset switch in the rear in the event there was an overload applied and it shuts down automatically. The built-in overload and over-temperature protection will definitely ensure a longer life expectancy for the PowerSource. I had hoped that the outlets would ALL accommodate use of devices with large power packs. If the outlets were spread out, then that could have been accomplished. Hopefully in the next iteration they will design it to accommodate multiple devices using large power supplies

It seemed pretty basic, a plug for AC charging, some outlets and the promise that it will switch to backup power automatically when a power outage occurs. It seemed pretty reassuring and as long as it happens seamlessly so that the electronic devices that are hooked up to it won’t sense the power outage, I will be very happy.

Of course I did check the available power before I plugged it in and it read 90%. That was good but decided that I would plug it in and charge it up fully before I tried it. It was late afternoon so I let it charge over night. As it was charging, the LED would flash a signal indicating it was charging and then flash what the total charge was. There was a fan running quietly inside keeping the unit cool…I liked that. When I looked at the PowerSource 400 in the morning, it read 100% so it was time to give it a try.

I plugged in a couple of items (a laptop, a cell phone, a portable DVD player and a 3-way table lamp). As I tried different items, I was surprised that the wattage being used was not significant. For example, the 3-way light did not register any wattage at the lowest level and as I increased to the second, it registered 50-60 and at the highest setting, it registered 90-100.

If I used just the laptop, it registered 0 then 40 if there was activity on the laptop. So I tried my router, DSL modem, Wireless landline phone and two cell phones charging and there was 0 showing for watts being consumed. I had to assume that wattage use less than 40 was not able to be displayed.



Well, I needed a test to determine the length of time it would run using a device with a constant draw of wattage. I decided to run a 21” LCD TV that displayed a constant 90-100 watts of usage. With a full charge, the UPS ran for 3.5 hours before the audible alarm sounded indicating that there was only minutes left of available power. Considering the wattage being consumed, it was a decent battery life. In theory, the alarm means there is approximately 10 minutes of run time remaining. I found it to be about 3-5 minutes depending on the devices being used.

The next test was to run something that consumed less wattage so I chose my laptop. With a fully charged battery and normal use all day, I was able to run my laptop for 9.5 consecutive hours. The wattage fluctuated from a reading of 0-40 throughout the test period.

From my use over the past couple of weeks, this 400 watt inverter with five 115 VAC power outlets has provided me ample ability to guarantee safe and continuous computing in the event of a lengthy power outage. More importantly, part of my intention is to use this power supply at my lake house where the power does go out frequently during the winter months. Besides my computing needs, I heat my home with two Vermont Castings propane stoves. They do not require any electricity to provide heat and use a wireless battery operated thermostat. However there is a low amp fan that comes on once the temperature rises to a certain level. Generally power outages are for short periods of time but when I am not at the house, I want the comfort that the fan on my heat source will function and this device will clearly provide that.

When power goes out, there is a very bright blue LED light on that back of the unit that turns on automatically. I was amazed at how much light it did provide; enough to be able to see where outlets are located in the event you needed to add another device to the PowerSource 400.

In the event you need to relocate the PowerSource 400, there are integrated handles at the top on the unit that allow for easy transportation if you need to move the device. I found them quite convenient as I moved it around testing different devices.

I have been impressed with the Xantrex PowerSource 400. It looks good, performs well and gives that added assurance that your power needs will be met in the event of an emergency. It is a nice feeling to know that in case of an emergency power outage, I am protected!




Cost: $199.99


Pros:
Multiple Device Use
Battery Status Monitoring
Audible Alarm (indication of overheating and under voltage conditions)
Overload and Over-Temperature Protection (ensuring longer inverter life)
5 AC outlets



Cons:
AC recharging is lengthy
Wattage usage less than 40 is not displayed on LED readout
Outlets are too close together preventing use of multiple devices that have large power packs.


Rating: 4.8 out of 5

You can visit Xantrex here.



Xantrex PowerSource 400

Product Specifications
AC output power (max. continuous) 320 W
AC output power (5 minutes) 400 W (650 VA)
AC output surge capacity (peak) 640 W
AC output voltage 120 VAC/60 Hz
Internal AC charger 2 A
Transfer switch 12 A max / 12 milliseconds
Internal battery 40 Ah, sealed, lead-acid
Weight 32 lb (14.5 kg)
Dimensions (L x W x H) 18.5 x 4.25 x 10.5“
(47 x 10.8 x 26.7 cm)
Part number 852-0400
UPC number 7.15535E+11
Warranty 12 months
*Specifications may change without notice.


Regulatory Approval
UL Listed to UL 1778 2nd Edition and
CSA C22.2 no. 107.1-01
standby UPS Standards FCC Class B


XPower PowerSource 400 Charging Times
Battery Discharge Levels 100% 75% 50% 25%
Recharging time from 120 VAC (home) 20 h 16h 8h 4h
Note: Recharging time is calculated based on
operating the PowerSource 400 in
an environmental temperature of 77°F / 25°C.


Xpower PowerSource 400 Runtimes

Office Applications Watts/Runtime
Laptop 25/15h
Inkjet printer 8/55h
Cell phone 5/92h
Wireless modem/router 6/81h
Table lamp 40/9h
Desktop computer 67/5h
17” LCD monitor 35/10h

Emergency Power Applications Watts/Runtime
Cordless phone 5/92h
Clock radio 8/55h
13” CRT TV 50/7h
13” LCD TV 38/10h

Click read more below to see the full news item

No comments: