Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Carry One Device or Two?

What is your choice? Would you rather carry one device that plays your music and receives your calls or would you rather carry one for each purpose? It is an interesting question and cell phone makers are betting you would rather carry one.

An example is Nokia with their N91, a slick looking device that gives you access to email, the web via 3G, a host of applications, a 4 GB hard drive and Wi-Fi 802.11b/g. It definitely is a slick device...comfortable, simple to use and feature rich.

I read an interesting article today by Sixto Ortiz Jr. from Mobile Tech Today entitled "Can It Be the End of the iPod?"

In part, this is what he had to say:

Cellular carriers have one advantage over Apple: Their devices are connected to an always-on, always-present network that allows users to download content whenever and wherever they feel like it. The iPod, for all its advantages, is a self-contained device that cannot connect to a music service unless it's tethered to a networked PC or laptop.

Remember what smartphones did to PDAs? By incorporating calendars and other organizing features into phones, mobile handset makers effectively rendered the PDA redundant.

Now, efforts are underway to bring the best features of portable media players into your cell phone. If manufacturers have their way, a new wave of music-capable phones will have you reaching for your wallet and tossing your iPod in the sock drawer.



So what is your choice? I think you will find this to be an interesting article that you can read here.


Click read more below to see the full news item

3 comments:

Andre said...

As long as the Telcos continue to charge ridiculous tiered download fees and Apple continues to put out clean seamless interface devices, I don't see this happening. I do however see newer iPods with additional features to compete.
Personally, I really don't care for one device that is just OK at many functions.
But what do I know - I use over three devices now.
I like the looks and features of the N91. I am sure we will see a few more like it very soon.

Jack said...

I understand just what you are saying Andre and tend to agree about multiple devices...I guess we are just "Gadget addicts"!

However, I think for those that are not addicts, the phone that combines music as well as other "essential" features will be the choice of many. I must say, I am really impressed with the N91 features...a 4 gig hard drive...that is a lot of songs!

Jack said...

And as I was reading "stuff" on the net, Stan Beer put up a story: Verizon Chocolate the future of iPod

Short and very interesting

Chocolate Story