Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The iPAQ 6925 – A Reincarnation

I have been an iPAQ fanatic for years and have had a never ending love affair with them. I’ve been fortunate to have had the unique opportunity to own several and use virtually all of the iPAQ line. They always worked for me and with rare exception; I always have had a positive experience.

There have been two devices that have been my favorites, the iPAQ 4700 which I still use almost everyday and an iPAQ 6515 that I had the privilege to have own loan for about 8 months. It was a sad day when I had to send it back; it was like losing my best friend. But the memories of such a positive experience have remained so when I was given the opportunity again to use the latest Cingular version of the iPAQ 6925, I jumped at the opportunity and I have NOT been disappointed. In fact, I have been so thrilled for the past five days that the device just does not leave my hand…well, I may put it down for a moment but I pick it right back up.

What is the iPAQ 6900 series about?

It is a device that uses quad-band GSM technology and combines a variety of integrated wireless technologies, including GPRS/EDGE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Clearly a variety of options to keep you connected all the time. With a built-in GPS receiver, you literally have a personal guide to keep you from ever getting lost.

The ability to read and reply to e-mails using a variety of email solutions will keep you current on what is happening in your business world as well as personal life and with the built-in HP Photosmart Camera, you can take pictures that can be immediately emailed or saved to the Mini-SD slot for later use.

Of course having an iPAQ not only keeps you organized but it entertains you as well. With Media Player 10 Mobile, you get to play your favorite music and videos. With the included HP Photosmart Mobile Software, you can share your photos with those that you are with. Of course, there are so many terrific games you can add to give you that diversion that is often needed to relax.

So what is the iPAQ 6900 series about? It’s about making your life a little easier as you work, relax or play.

So why am I so happy?

Well first it clearly is a reincarnation of the 6515. According to the American Heritage Dictionary - a reincarnation is a rebirth of the soul in another body or a reappearance or revitalization in another form; a new embodiment. And that is what this device is, a rebirth, a revitalization, a new embodiment.

Opening the box and removing the iPAQ brought back that old familiar feeling. As I held it in my hand I immediately felt at home. The look was the same (almost) and the feel was pure comfort in my hand. Immediately I noticed the redesigned keypad with keys that big fingers can comfortably manipulate because of a new design. After powering it on, the most striking change was the backlighting. Thankfully the blue backlit display was gone and replaced with what appears to be silver keys but are white when the backlight goes on. This change makes the touch pad experience significantly better in dark light conditions. I can see every key … clearly!

What does it look like?

Holding the iPAQ in your hand, you have a device that has a 3.0" transflective TFT display that has a smoke flip cover protecting it from dust and scratches. Above the screen there is a power button in the upper right with two LEDs slightly to the left. One is the Charging/Notification LED indicator and the other is for indicating Bluetooth/Wi-Fi are enabled. Centered at the top is the speaker.

Below the screen you see a QWERTY keyboard that has “flattened” keys for comfortable input. Just above the keyboard you find the Answer/Send button, Left Softkey, 5-way Navigation button, Right Softkey, and the End call button.

There is nothing on top of the device except access to the stylus located in the top right hand side. The right side of the device actually shows the stylus better and there is a slot for the mini-SD near the bottom.

The bottom of the device has the 22-pin charge, sync connector and a 2.5 mm Stereo headphone/mic jack. The left side has at the top the Digital Camera button and the Volume up/down slider. Depending on whether or not you are using the phone or the PDA, the volume slider will adjust each volume independently.

 

 

The back of the device sports the 1.3 mega-pixel camera with a flash and a self portrait mirror and a reminder label above it to keep the top unobstructed for optimal radio performance. The lower portion has the battery cover that can be removed easily by pressing and sliding down on the cover.

Removing the battery cover, you can see where the SIM will slide into to provide your network connection. The serial number information is located inside the battery compartment and there is a strap that that battery sits on when inserted. The strap provides for easy battery removal when needed.

 

 

What did I do first?

Now when I first get a new device, I always go through the contents of the box first but not this time. I wanted to see how well it worked. Typically, at my home, getting a signal on the first floor is a rare experience and if I’m lucky, I’ll get one bar upstairs. So I removed the back cover, inserted my SIM and replaced the 1200mAh battery. When I powered on, the initial screen appeared followed by the blue Windows Mobile screen then the Cingular screen appeared with a very fast boot. In a matter of seconds, the home screen appeared and I had three bars…no four…no three. Oh heck, I had more bars showing than I have ever had before. I quickly went upstairs and the signal fluctuated between 4 and five bars with an occasional three. I was thrilled, not only did I have a signal, I had a great signal!

Of course this device is a Cingular device so I did not have to configure the settings for the Internet. Navigating to Internet Explorer, the default Cingular page appeared. I entered the URL for Mobilitysite, pressed enter, a connection screen appeared indicating it was connecting to the Cingular Network, then finding and opening Mobilitysite. It was a matter of a few seconds and I was looking at recent posts. For the next few minutes, I navigated to several of my favorite sites and was able to connect with ease. This initial experience was very positive but it was time to charge the device and look to see what was in the box.

Box Contents

A shrink wrapped package containing the getting started CD, a three disk set of the HP iPAQ Navigation Maps and Software (60 day trial version), warranty information, battery saving tips, Tip Sheet for Optimal Phone Performance, Active Sync Troubleshooting sheet, End User License agreement, a booklet of iPAQ Accessories and a rather large 110 page manual in two languages (English and Spanish).

In the second layer, the iPAQ was sitting there accompanied with the following items:

Plastic belt clip holder

Plastic Flip Cover

Stylus

1200 mAh Lithium-ion battery

Stereo Headphones with volume control

USB Sync cable

AC Charger & Charger Adapter

Everything was neatly wrapped with plastic just waiting to be opened … which I did rather quickly. I attached the charger tip to the AC power supply and charged the iPAQ while I looked through the manual.

Manual

There was a time when manuals were not included (supposedly to save paper) but I am glad they are included with HP products. The manual was nicely done starting with the contents of the box, set up, overview and then a methodical process of working you through the myriad of features offered with this device.

For the first time user, the steps guide you in setting up, protecting the device from damage, tips on battery life, explanations of hard and soft resets, some trouble shooting (which I doubt you will need) and some great “how to” explanations on use of the keyboard, function keys Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. Of course there are terrific explanations on how to use the Phone, Messaging, Camera as well as understandings of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and the built-in GPS system.

There is no question that not only first time users but the experienced user can gain some valuable information from this manual. I recommend that those that end up with this device to take the time and read through the manual. Yes, those of you that are experienced with a Pocket PC Phone will find much of it redundant but there are a few items that you will strengthen your knowledge on … it’s worth the read.

CD Installation

Inserting the CD brings up an automatic installer starting a Wizard that will take you through step-by-step instructions to get connected, install the HP critical software needed, allow you to automatically register your iPAQ and add additional software from the CD and Internet. It is a pretty easy Wizard that even the most inexperienced user will feel comfortable.

As you can see with the following screenshots, it will determine what you already have installed and then will guide you to installing what is needed. It was well done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Programs and Settings

Of course the heart of any device is what is installed and how you manage and maintain it. Pressing START and navigating to the bottom you find three areas of interest: Programs, Settings and Help.

Installed Programs

I always look to see what a vendor has pre-installed on a device. Sometimes, we get lucky and there is an extra but more often than not it is always the same standard applications. So what do we see when we go to Programs?

Games - You get two games with this device; Bubble Breaker and Solitaire.

ActiveSync

Calculator

Contacts

Download Agent

Excel Mobile

File Explorer

Get TeleNav

Get Good

Java

Modem Link

Notes

Photosmart Camera

Photosmart Mobile

Pocket MSN

Pocket Streets

 PowerPoint Mobile

Search

SIM Manager

Tasks

Terminal Services

Word Mobile

 

Settings

Three tabs allow you to get and set aspects of the device to make your experience better. A total of 33 different options are available to enhance and improve your experience.

Personal Tab allows you to set items such as how you want the Today Screen to appear, Button assignment or Phone options.

 

System Tab gives you the ability to check items such as memory, remaining power and screen settings

  

 

Connections Tab gives a myriad of options for items such as Bluetooth settings, connections through your modem or network, activesync and Wireless Lan.

 

Help

The help menu will answer many questions that might arise during your experience. What I like about the help menu is that when you are in a specific program, the help for that program is what appears. It makes finding solutions for most situations a lot easier.

 

So what is really cool?

Besides the fact that I am a very definite “iPAQite” and admittedly have a distinct prejudice towards iPAQ devices in general, this device offers some very cool features that make a users experience enjoyable and productive. The old 6515 had an Intel PXA270 Processor with 312 MHz but the new 6900 series sports an Intel PXA270 Processor that is 416 MHz. This is a BIG improvement and noticeable in use. Memory is always a point for discussion but the 64MB SDRAM for running applications and 45MB user memory has been enough for my initial testing. I’m sure that as I add more and more programs I will wish they had made it 128 MB but at least there is a mini-SD card expansion slot which will provide some relief. (The picture to the right illustrates the original memory configuration prior to any program being installed.)

As a phone, it produces excellent results. The speaker phone volume is acceptable (my recollection was that the 6515 was louder), the outgoing voice is clear (from reports of folks I have called) and the connection to a signal has been absolutely terrific. In the past week I have traveled in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine and have found a signal everywhere I have gone. I was particularly pleased that I had a signal (2 bars) on the mid-coast of Maine (which BTW, I rarely have in my particular area)… there are no towers in the ocean so we rely on signals coming in from the mainland … lol.

As a means to get email and surf the web, I found the Cingular data connection to be excellent. I do not use push email but from reports I have heard, it works well. I can tell you that my ability to use my POP mail has been flawless as has been my ability to “surf” the net.

The built-in GPS has performed almost flawlessly. I say that because as I am writing this, we are experiencing a very dark, cloudy, rainy day. I can accept that the satellite signal may well be impaired today but I will tell you that I used it yesterday all over the mid-coast Maine area with perfect tracking. Of course, I choose to use Delorme’s Street Atlas USA software which works flawlessly with this device. An excellent feature that makes finding satellites easier is the Quick GPS program that will go out to the web and update 4 files with the latest positions of the satellites.  It works well ... as long as you have an Internet connection.

If your desire is to have a PDA, then this is your choice. The square screen is large enough to give the PDA experience and yet small enough to allow for not having a device to carry that is overwhelming. I think HP made a great choice with this screen size because I can see all of my applications easily (which is not true on other devices with smaller screens). You have to decide what is important to you when picking a device. To me, being able to see what you are working on is critical. The size of this screen is a happy medium allowing you to have it all.

Of course having Microsoft’s Office Mobile applications included is a very definite plus as well as the Messaging and Security packs that give you direct push and synchronization with Microsoft Exchange. These are all pluses for the serious business person as well as the casual user.

The redesigned QWERTY keyboard with the flattened keys and the significantly brighter backlighting has definitely improved this iPAQ experience. Yes, the keys are small but the spacing is appropriate to allow reasonably fast test entry with few (if any) miss-typed keys. As you use it more and more, input becomes second nature.

 

….and what is not so cool?

The camera has not been improved over the previous version. With the advances made with camera phones, a minimum of a 2 mega-pixel camera should be the standard (and that is fast changing). Even though it is only a 1.3 mega-pixel camera, the shots are OK for web posting. You still will need to carry a camera if you want to get those “save forever” pictures.

 

The 5-way joystick has always been difficult for me to use effectively. It is too sensitive, so a slight push in the wrong direction will often bring an unwanted result. Practice is what brings success … clearly I still need more. I do believe there is room to redesign the joystick control to make it easier to use.

HP still uses their device specific adapter for charging and synchronization. I would like to see them convert all future devices to the mini-USB standard. Why? Because they are stronger, less apt to break and with the myriad of devices that use mini-USB, life would certainly be a easier having to deal with fewer device specific power supplies.

 

Overall Impressions

I am very satisfied with the performance of this iPAQ and would not hesitate to give it a recommendation to the serious user that wants a mixed bag of features that all perform well. If size is your concern then this may not be your first choice but if usability and performance is your priority then this HP device deserves some serious consideration.

I have successfully (and easily) connected several different Bluetooth devices to help increase my ability to Experience Mobility. Using a BlueAnt X3 micro headset makes hands free driving a breeze, listening to music with my HP Stereo headset has been very enjoyable and entering part of this review using a ThinkOutside keyboard has been a great experience.

However, the biggest plus for me was the ability to always get a Cingular signal which was lacking in the 6515 in “off the beaten track” areas. I can only assume that an improved Cingular network as well as an improved radio has contributed to me getting excellent connectivity for calls and my data connection.

 

PROS

Unique and Comfortable Design

Intel PXA270 Processor 416 MHz

Cingular Network – GREAT Reception

Built-in GPS (which will give you lat/lon for pictures)

 

CONS

Limited Camera ability

Joystick too small, too sensitive

Speakerphone is not as loud as I would like however it is acceptable

 

Rating: 4.7 out of 5

 

Cost: $ 579.00

Cingular’s price based upon contract. See your local Cingular store for price.

 

Visit Cingular here to find out more information about the HP iPAQ 6925

You can visit HP here to read additional information on the iPAQ 6900 series

 

Device Specifications:

System features

Operating System

Microsoft® Windows Mobile™ 5.0, Phone Edition with Messaging and Security Feature Pack 5.0

Available processors

Intel® PXA270 Processor 416 MHz

Memory

Available memory

64 MB  SDRAM

Audio, Slots, and Ports

Audio

Integrated microphone
receiver
speaker
one 2.5 mm stereo headphone jack
MP3 stereo (through headphone jack)

Ports

1 IrDA
1 USB
1 serial

Slots

1 Integrated Mini SD slot (memory only)

Graphics and Input/Output devices

Display size

3.0" transflective TFT display

Input devices

Stylus
Alphanumeric keyboard with LED backlight

Communication features

Wireless

Integrated Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE wireless radio with automatic band transition
Integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b)
Integrated Bluetooth® 1.2 wireless technology
Integrated IrDA SIR

Software

Pre-installed software

Calendar
Contacts
Tasks
Voice Recorder
Notes
Word Mobile
Excel Mobile
PowerPoint Mobile
Internet Explorer Mobile
Windows Media Player 10 Mobile
Calculator
Solitaire
Bubble Breaker
Clock
Align Screen
Memory

Software included (ROM)

Microsoft Outlook 2002 
Microsoft ActiveSync 4.1 (Desktop device synchronization) 
Windows Media Player 10 Desktop 
Phone Data Manager for PC 
HP Protect tools secured by CREDANT Technologies 
HP Photosmart Premier Software 
HP Image Transfer 
HP iPAQ GPS Quick Connect Utility 
Funk Odyssey 
Real Player 10 

Product specifications

Dimensions (h x w x d)

4.65 x 2.8 x 0.71 in (118.0 x 71.0 x 18.0 mm)

Weight

6.33 oz (179.45 g)

Power and Battery

Battery

Removable/rechargeable 1200 mAh Lithium-ion
(NOTE: Talk time: up to 4 hours Standby time: up to 7 days)

Power supply

AC Adapter

Service and Support

Warranty - year(s)

One-year parts and labor limited warranty; 90 days technical support for software. First level support provided by Cingular Customer Service at 1-866-CINGULAR (1-866-246-4852) or dial 611 from your iPAQ hw6920/hw6925 Mobile Messenger

Click read more below to read the FULL review of Cingular's NEW offering of the HP iPAQ 6925

(clicking on any image will give you a larger image to view)

No comments: