Saturday, February 25, 2006

Read your Word Documents In Microsoft Reader Format



Sometimes it is easier to create documents on your PC...it makes sense because you have been used to writing and reading on your PC for a long time. Over time, we have become so used to reading from Word that it just seems natural, at least it does to me. This is especially true for me because of a feature Word has called reading layout view. I like this feature because it displays your document like the pages in a book. The pages fit on the screen, and the text is displayed using Microsoft ClearType technology which, for my tired old eyes, makes a huge difference.

But there are times when you either don't have the time or can't get to you PC to read...so what do you do? I used to copy my files to my iPAQ and would read them using Pocket Word (now called Word Mobile). It worked but it was definitely NOT tha same experience. For short documents it was fine but for long documents it was brutal.

I like reading and I especially like reading using Microsoft Reader. I find it easy and very comfortable on my eyes. Over time I have accumulated quite a libray of books that have kept me reading for hours and hours. I used to say "wouldn't it be nice to read my Word documents in MS Reader"? Well, I don't say that any more because I can and DO!



That's right, If you have a Word document you can easily convert it to MS Reader format and either read it on your PC or on your Windows Mobile Device. Microsoft has an add-in that you can use to create your own Microsoft Reader eBooks. In my opinion, Microsoft Reader makes your long documents significantly easier to read....it's like reading from a book.

The following is an overview from Microsoft:
With the Word 2000/XP/2003 Add-in: Read in Microsoft Reader (RMR) 1.1.3, you can use Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Word XP, or Microsoft Word 2003 to create your own Microsoft Reader eBooks. Microsoft Reader makes on-screen reading more like reading a printed book, while adding active reading capabilities, instant access to content, and storage of a personal library. You can use this add-in to convert new or existing Word documents, letting you benefit from the features and convenience of Microsoft Reader.


You can download the Word 2000/XP/2003 Add-In that will allow you to Read in Microsoft Reader here.

This is a very cool way to save and read documents while you are on the road...truly, this is one of the best ways for you to Experience Mobility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new blog Jack - used to enjoy your contribution to "that well known ipaq site", hope this goes from strength to strength!

all the best,

Andy from Scotland.

Jack said...

Thanks so much Andy! I really appreciate your kind words! My hope is that we will grow here so everyone can share how they Experience Mobility.