Friday, February 24, 2006

I wish I were in London...well, in six months


I saw an interesting news item the other day but really didn't give to much thought about until today. I had to spend some time doing a few tasks outside so I decided to use my iPAQ and stream XM radio to Experience Mobility while I was working. Of course it worked fine until I moved too far away and lost my Wi-Fi signal.

It was then that I remembered that the City of London announced their plan to install a "dense and comprehensive" Wi-Fi Internet network throughout London's Square Mile. Pretty cool actually because they are partnering with a Wi-Fi firm that will install and manage the network for them. They are hoping to go live relatively soon and within six months, the entire city will be blanketed.

Besides city workers and residents, visitors with Wi-Fi-enabled devices will be able to access the Internet wherever they go on the streets of London. Hmmm....I wish we had that up here in Maine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great news for those of us that live and work there, but "City of London" isn't the same as London http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/maps/boundary_map.htm
shows the area, and it's very much the business area, not the tourist areas.

Jack said...

Well hopefully as it grows, they will expand it to the "tourist area" too! I expect that we will see this grow everywhere. My own city of Boston, MA is getting into the act following the lead of Philadelphia, PA