Monday, February 27, 2006

I don't use my drill press everyday....

I don't use my drill press everyday, as a matter of fact, I only use it a few times a year. So what does that have to do with how you Experience Mobility?



The other day Microsoft accidentally posted some details of the Vista product lineup on one of its Web sites. Of course, the "buzz" is starting and I can only imagine what folks are saying....for some the choice of which version they will use is easy but for others, I am sure it will be difficult to decide.

Often folks ask new computer users "what do you want to do" when they try to help them decide what computer to buy. I like to to ask not only "what do you want to do" but "where do you eventually want to be"? All too often, we purchase things and find out later that we should have gone a "step higher" in our purchase because we outgrew its capabilities.

Microsoft indicated that the six versions for Vista were designed to meet how people use their computers and I am sure that each will provide the functionality that different folks need but I urge caution in choosing the right version for you. In my opinion, what ever you ultimately decide is the right one for you, consider going to the next level. Doing so will give you the ability to grow without having to make major upgrades.

So what does this have to do with my drill press? Years ago I had to do a fairly large project where I needed a drill press. I could have purchased a simple press that would have allowed me to complete that task......but I chose to get one just slightly better. Over the past several years, I have had the need to use the "extra" capabilities to complete "new" tasks and those tasks could never have been done if I purchased the "basic" press. It was a good decision and over the years, it has paid for itself several times over.

If you will be considering an upgrade, give some serious thought to what you want to do and where you eventually want to be.....it will make your ability to Experience Mobility a little more enjoyable.

No comments: