Thursday, February 23, 2006

Experience Mobility .... Travel the Universe


There are so many avenues to take just to Experience Mobility. Truly, the possibilities are limitless so as you enter on the journey to Experience Mobility for yourself just let your imagination guide you on where you want to go.

I am spending a week at my summer place in Maine. It is cold, quiet and quite beautiful not only during the day but also at night. Last night the sky was spectacular so I bundled up and sat on my deck for a little less than an hour enjoying the wonders of the universe. I would have stayed out longer but I was cold.

When I came in from outside, I found myself looking out the window still trying to get a view and then the thought occured to me that I should look for a program that might help me understand a bit more about the universe....and I found one that is pretty spectacular to use on my laptop.


Celestia is a free space simulation that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions....and it is way cool to try. Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The download was fast and the install was flawless but it does require a pretty good laptop to run on if you are going to try it outside. I urge you to upgrade to the most recent drivers for your graphics card.

What is really neat is that Celestia does not assume you are only on the earth. You can locate yourself throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy....this cool.

It is pretty much seamless in operation. For me, I found if I had nothing else running and a fresh reboot that it was fine (my laptop is several years old). In my initial usage, I found it a simple interface to use so I was able to navigate through the universe easily.

What is very cool is that Celestia is expandable. It comes with a magnificent array of stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft. But when you finally get through all of that, you will be startled at the amount of addons that available.

Experience Mobility and travel the universe....this is pretty cool and its FREE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing out this site. It's great! I don't know how I could have missed finding it before. Make sure you watch the demo once you've installed it. Very cool.

Jack said...

I'm glad you liked it joc. I thought it was very cool. It truly has a lot to it...and then there are add ons!