Sunday, June 25, 2006

GPS Units Targeted for Theft

So what do you do with your GPS when you arrive at your destination? ....I usually just shut mine off, lock the car and go about my business.

However a recent article has started to make me think twice about what I do and maybe it will make you think about what you do. Recent crime statistics show that the theft of accessories from cars has dramatically increased while theft of cars has remained to be about what it was in 2004.

So why is that you say? Probably because there are sophisticated tracking devices in more and more cars today and probably because some accessories are big ticket items and are very easy to resell. GPS units can range from $500 to $2000 and they are a "hot" item today.

Is it enough to just take the GPS off the suction cup cradle and hide it under the seat? I think I would rather just unsnap the clip on the suction cup and place the entire assembly in the trunk of the car. Of course, if your GPS was integrated into your Windows Mobile phone, this issue would not exist as long as you don't leave your phone in the car......

What do you do?

No comments: