Monday, October 23, 2006

Search and Watch Google Video From Your Mobile Phone

It was pure luck that I ran into this today via a variety of sites (Lifehacker & PVRWire) but I am glad I did.  Scott Robbin has developed a web-based application that strips the AVI file from any Google Video and then it allows you download it to your device.

Enter http://srobbin.com/mobilevideo using your device's browser, search for a video then click on the link when it appears.  I chose iPod as my search query.  It found a slew of videos so I chose the first one, MS Ipod Parody and downloaded it.  It was a reasonably fast download and then it automatically started TCMP and I was watching the video...very cool folks.

From Scott Robbin's site:

How many times have you been sitting on the train, with nothing to do, and you thought to yourself, "Boy, I’d really like to be watching a video about pickles," only to realize that you have none on your person? If you’re like me, then the answer is plenty.

Well, worry no more. You can now search and watch Google Video right from your mobile communicator. That is, if you meet the following requirements:

  • Your phone has an XHTML-compliant browser
  • You have enough storage on your phone to hold large files
  • Your phone’s connection is fast
  • You have an application on your phone capable of playing AVI files

While the first two are a must, there’s some wiggle room on requirements #3 and #4: having a fast connection and the ability to play AVI files.

Source: srobbin.com

Click read more below to see the full news item

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see also this:
http://x.msmobiles.com/video.html

.. that is similar mobile Google video search but better - it shows all videos, not just small ones.

Jack said...

Thank you for the comment ... very much appreciated!

When I got up this morning, I saw your post, went to the msmobile link and tried it. It worked very well...and yes, the first file I tried was fairly large and it worked.

Thanks so much for the tip!