Thursday, October 26, 2006

The iGo Think Outside Stowaway Sierra Bluetooth Keyboard

A perfect Bluetooth keyboard solution – AGAIN!

Several years ago after I had acquired my first iPAQ, I decided that even though it was terrific for those routine tasks, large amounts of text entry was tedious. It was then that I found my first Stowaway keyboard with a built-in connector for my iPAQ. It worked very well for extended text entry. Eventually I upgraded my iPAQ to the 3900 series, and I was pleasantly surprised that Think Outside had made an adapter for the keyboard enabling me to continue to use this terrific piece of technology.

Time went on and new devices came my way so I eventually retired my keyboard and started to use alternative methods of software based text entry. I was happy but never quite as satisfied as I was with my keyboard. Then Think Outside introduced their Stowaway Infrared Wireless Keyboard which was an almost perfect solution. It had an integrated cradle and you could adjust the IR wand to get the best connectivity. It was good ... no ... at that time it was great, but the best was yet to come.

With the advent of Bluetooth and its widespread adoption, Think Outside introduced the perfect solution for your smart phone, PDA, Tablet, or notebook with a very hot new product - the Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard! It was sleek and had an incredible design that still impresses me after all the time I have used it. Its unique design allowed me to take it everywhere and when I needed it, it opened to an almost full sized keyboard to easily enter text.

 As great as it was (and still is), it had one issue that always plagued me and that was only four rows of keys. This meant that in order to deal with numbers and special symbols, you needed to use a combination of strokes with special function keys. Don’t get me wrong, you do get used to it and the size and portability make that sacrifice well worth it. There is NO question that the Stowaway Universal Bluetooth Keyboard was and is a perfect solution.

But that missing fifth row has always been a rub for many of us and I am sure that folks let Think Outside know that they wanted a keyboard that had that 5th row. Well, they listened, evaluated, designed and placed into production another superior Stowaway Keyboard that is a perfect addition to your road warrior bag to complement your SmartPhone, PDA, Ultra-Mobile PC, Tablet, or notebook. In fact, almost any Bluetooth supported device can utilize this incredible new product and of course what is very cool is that it opens up to a 5 row full-size keyboard that has 19 mm spacing and 3mm key travel … most likely it is exactly like the one you use on your laptop.

For me, the introduction of the iGo Stowaway Sierra Bluetooth Keyboard could not have come at a more appropriate time. Recently I acquired my first tablet, a Motion LS800. It is truly a device that has changed how I Experience Mobility. And yes, I know that a tablet is meant to be used without a keyboard. And yes, I know that there are those that might say that it is blasphemy to even want to use a keyboard…after all, that is why you have the TIP (Text Input Panel) but frankly, the longer the article I write, the worse my handwriting becomes … sometimes it is even illegible to me! So how can I expect the TIP to translate what I can’t read? A keyboard is a needed accessory for me if I want fast and efficient text entry.

When I first got my tablet, I immediately paired my Stowaway Universal Bluetooth Keyboard. It works fine, no, it works flawlessly but ….that missing fifth row was now even more evident. When I use the keyboard, the tablet is always in a cradle and the cradle has several USB inputs. I had decided that I was going to buy a new wireless keyboard that uses a USB adapter but the problem was finding one that would allow for easy portability in my bag. After spending some time researching the different wireless keyboards out there, I had pretty much decided which one I was going to get but then I was “saved by the bell” because Mobility Electronics, announced the launch of the NEW Stowaway Sierra keyboard. They advertised it as the “next generation portable Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for Smartphone users” but I believed that it was the next generation portable Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for Jack Cook and his new tablet!

 Without any hesitation, I ordered my keyboard and when it arrived, I was impressed! Of course, like all Think Outside products, the packaging was terrific. I was very impressed with the listing of information that was neatly placed around the box. The right side had a complete list of compatible devices; the left gave the specs, dimensions and system requirements. It was encased in a see through plastic that was reasonably easy to open, although I did have to use a knife to cut through the plastic. Inside there was a quick start guide, a CD, a cleaning cloth, a zippered case for the keyboard, the Sierra Keyboard and a battery! Yes, batteries were included (well, only one)!

As you hold the folded keyboard for the first time you do notice that its weight (10.7 oz) is significantly more than the smaller Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard (5.6 oz). However, the added weight is not significant enough to be a concern especially considering the fact that this is a true full size keyboard. The sides are metal with a shiny chrome finish ... now you know why they included a cleaning cloth … fingerprints!

The keyboard opens by pressing a release button located on the side. As you press the release button, it opens revealing four sections. Laying the keyboard flat, there are two locking slides that when you gently push on them will lock the outer sections with the inner sections. The center seam is still “loose” however it has no effect on operation either on your lap or on a table top.

Once the right slide is engaged, not only does it lock that side but it also turns on the keyboard (assuming the battery has been inserted). There are two spring loaded locking mechanisms that keep the either slide firmly in tack to prevent unwanted opening (and in the case of the right side, shutting down the keyboard). The battery compartment located to the left of center is easily accessible for insertion of a single AA battery.

Well, the keyboard is open, the battery is inserted and the sides are locked so I was now ready to see if it worked. I decided to try my Motion tablet first so I set the keyboard in pairing mode by pressing the discoverable button located at the top of the keyboard. Pressing it for a second, the pairing light began to flash so I added the device to my tablet. With in seconds, a new device was discovered, it recognized what it was and found the appropriate drivers on my tablet. In a very short period of time it was done and I was typing … I was impressed!

I performed a variety of typing tests and was quite pleased with the results. There is no discernable delay in text appearing after a key is pressed. If I let the keyboard sit for a while, it will go to sleep but a simple press on any key will bring it back to life within a few seconds. As an aside, I really like that feature because it extends the battery life. After two weeks of daily use of up to 10 hours a day, I am still on the first battery but then I expected that. Battery life on Think Outside products has always been extraordinary.

For several days I used the keyboard with terrific results. I have been impressed with the feel of the keys while I type (although it is a slightly different feel than my PC keyboard). If my tablet was off, upon turning it on the keyboard would immediately connect with a simple press of a key and a two or three second delay … I liked that! So it works and it works well.

There are some special characters that are on some of the keys specifically for use with Windows Mobile devices such as a key for “OK”, the “X”, Programs, Settings, and Today. Curiosity was now getting the best of me so it was time to pair the keyboard with some of my devices.

I decided to try it with my iPAQ 4700 first. Rather than use the included CD, I went to the Think Outside website and it automatically detected my device and chose the appropriate driver. It downloaded, opened, installed and then reset my device. When the connection process began, it found that my 4700 had two Bluetooth components so I had to choose which one I wanted. After picking one, it easily set up my keyboard and I was typing within a few seconds.

Next I tried the HP rx4540. Again, it was a fast recognition from the Think Outside website, a quick download and within a few minutes, I was entering text but I really felt that the 4540 was “outclassed” with this keyboard. The diminutive size of the 4540 compared to the full size Sierra keyboard was too overwhelming. So I immediately took my older (and much more size appropriate) Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard, connected it and was entering text in seconds.

Lastly, I tried my Palm 700W which ended up being the fastest install of all. Again, Think Outside recognized the device, download the appropriate driver and the install was flawless. Of course I was able to enter text but more importantly, I was able to use ALL the special keys including those for phone functions. Not that I would ever use them, it was just neat to see them work.

Interestingly enough, as much as I thought the keyboard overwhelmed the iPAQ 4540, I did not feel that way with my Palm 700W. I actually could see myself using it with the Palm on an as needed basis. For me, the name of the game is to be able to Experience Mobility at its fullest potential and having the NEW Stowaway Sierra keyboard will allow me to do that with my Motion LS800 Tablet.

When using my tablet, I have a cradle for it to rest in so it is easily viewable but you might ask how would you “prop” up a small device. The answer is simple, use a small stand. Oh, where are you going to get one you ask? The engineers at Think Outside thought about that too. They designed a nifty collapsible stand that is integrated into the back of the keyboard. When you need it, just turn over the keyboard and remove the stand. It springs open with a back support for your device to lean against and has a rubber rest for the bottom of your device to sit on preventing it from slipping. When you’re done, it folds easily and snaps back into the rear of the keyboard. I am glad it is removable so you can adjust the position that you place your device to suit your needs.

The construction is what you would expect from a Think Outside product - Superior! Quality materials, perfect alignment of parts, smooth operation of working components, well written manuals and excellent software. There is not much more about it that I can say other than the fact that it is very cool. It even looks terrific folded up and sitting next to my tablet. They designed one edge to be flat so when the device is closed, you can have it sitting next your device just waiting to be used.

If you are looking for a means to comfortably enter text into your Bluetooth enabled device, I give this device my highest recommendation. I expect that this device (like so many other Think Outside products) will provide years of perfect service. However there is just one little problem. Now there are two perfect solutions for text entry with your Bluetooth devices; the Stowaway Ultra-Slim Bluetooth Keyboard and the Stowaway Sierra Bluetooth Keyboard. The problem you will have is deciding which one to use.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that Think Outside has been acquired by Mobility Electronics, Inc., a leading provider of innovative portable power and computing solutions. Mobility Electronics’ products are available at www.iGo.com as well as through leading resellers, retailers and OEM partners. What is nice about this acquisition is that both companies have a shared vision for developing innovative connectivity products. The end result is that we will continue to get innovative, high quality components that will increase our productivity and maximize our device enjoyment so we can truly Experience Mobility at a high level.

 

 

PROS

Superior construction

Easy installation

Convenient automatic driver download

Huge range of compatible devices

Automatic Power Saving mode

 

CONS

Polished exterior difficult to maintain (but it can act like a mirror)

 

COST: $ 129.99

RATING: 5 out of 5

Visit iGo to find out more information about the iGo Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard at http://www.iGo.com

Click read more below to see the full news item

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if it only had a pointing device, Trackpoint, whatever, then it would be perfect for my U70! :-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent review. I own the slim BT Keyboard from iGo/Think Outside. It is excellent except for the missing row of number keys. The original Stowaway IR "full sized" keyboard I used with my HP Jornada (several years ago) had a very similar design to the Stowaway Sierra. In fact, I (or I should say my wife) still have it and my Jornada (laughs). I loved having a full size keyboard with the number keys. Your review and the Sierra are both very timely especially now that TextMaker & PlanMaker 2006 PocPC versions are slated for release soon.

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out which model this one is...I looked on igo and they have 2 models, the $129.99 doesn't seem like th 5 row keyboard and neither model has the shiny case mentioned in the "con's". Please Please Please give the exact igo product number for this keyboard, I would not want to order one and find out it's the wrong one!

Bill

Jack said...

This link is the one for the Sierra keyboard Bill.

http://www.igo.com/product.asp?sku=3065119

Jack said...

Thank you Neil for the kind remarks. I have always been thrilled with Think Outside products and this is no expeption. As a matter of fact, it is downright awesome! I just got back from a week on the road and used it each day....it was like being at home using my full sized keyboard. I give it an A+!

Like you, I am a TextMaker believer. The final version is close but you can get the beta release...it is nice.
Check it out here: http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofp_en.htm

Jack said...

Thanks for the nice comment Jazzbass12! I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Good review, I'm going to get this keyboard to use with a Nokia 770 and Bluetooth driver. If you haven't already taken a look at the Nokia 770 you should, you may be pleasently surprised! :)

Anonymous said...

$70.81 on buy.com with Google checkout -- Act fast!

Anonymous said...

I came to this website because I just purchased the Sierra keyboard and I was wondering about the locking of the central hinge. If you look closely, you can see there is a small hole at the top of the keybord where the battery goes where when you lock the left side of the keyboard, it would push a bar to lock the middle hinge. This bar is actually visible in the diagram in the instructions too.

I was wondering if the bar was missing due to assembly error or whether it had been removed from the design. From your comment, it seems as if it is not present on any and has been removed from the design. Perhaps it was causing breakages and they decided it would be best to just not have it. Might be something someone could add back in if they felt it useful enough though.

FWIW, so far I am pretty pleased with the keyboard. I have a Palm TX and this just opens it up so much more. I use pssh often and a real keyboard will make it that much nicer to use.

Jack said...

I don't know the answer to that question Rich. Perhaps iGo can answer it if you send them a note